Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Draping... my new adventures?





Ciao a tutti!(practicing my italian here!)
 
(at Baldovinetti-Draping Lab...Jessica Velez and I...partners in crime)
Draping is one of my favorite stages of the design process... sometimes by just playing around with the fabric I can come up with the most unimaginable ideas. By listening to the fabric, letting it guide me, show me the way... I pin, touch, feel... the way into a new design.

I can't sketch what I will drape-I feel as if in some way-that sketch will limit me and I won't  let my imagination run.. or the fabric surprise me .

This semester we have only one draping class a week, and it runs from 8:30 AM until 2:30 p.m.. As much as I love this class, it is so exhausting and mentally/emotionally draining. In those hours we have to take the lesson, get an idea, develop the idea, drape the piece, and construct it. It is a lot of work-especially when i am used to coming to the lab in the after hours and taking my sweet time to play around. Now.. its more of a challenge-not necessarily more fun-but great training. it is getting better, I am getting used to it! My professor this year is Therese Schoenholzer-she is amazing and supposedly a world expert in lace!

I never take pictures of me working or me with my work-but here are some that my classmates took.

No comments:

Post a Comment