Saturday, February 5, 2011

bubble-ING away!

happy saturday.feliz sabado. buon sabato....
 (beh, ormai è domenica!!!)

today I woke up at the crack of dawn for a meeting and brunch at greydog
- YUMmmy (french toast w fruit, eggs over easy+ homefries)-
 and then
headed to New Jersey to the Silk-City warehouse/outlet sale, which takes place every first saturday of the month... ONLY that they were not there (perhaps due to sucky weather, but they could've at least put a sign up on the door)...
dissapointed, we came back to NYC, and to FIT's knitting lab- where I decided to test my thicker yarns on the 3gg brother machine...
 I EMBARKED ON A BUBBLE-Y adventure. The results were really cool...

below: some pics of the swatches I've developed so far.
I've been playing with "bubble" size, placement, shape, technique and YARN CONTENT.

my conclusions for the day:
  1. will need to use some wool to help the cotton keep its shape
  2. there are not many fine gauge sustainable  yarns
  3. might need to knit each bubble individually - to individually dye them, to indivdually place them on a form, to FORM- a conglomerate of magic moss-y bubbles!
  4. this is going to be a lot of work and a "couture-ish" adventure, but I'm really enjoying it and willing to give it a go go!



bubble swatches togetha'


the 1st bubble ever- I like the idea of making indiv. ones         


this is probably the winner- merino wool +100% cotton
i like the juxtaposition/conglomeration, and irregularity!


              holding needles on "E", knit just one part                                                              this one is w shortrowing-like socks
Lion Brand Recycled Cotton- from Tshirts




 see how they protrude!




 here I added some merino wool- it started to have a better effect! I also combined 2 techniques


  this was the first swatch I made once I figured out the technique- but I was still using the 100%cotton yarn + 6gg brother machine
 the shapes were good, but they didnt stay "poofy".












No comments:

Post a Comment