Tuesday, April 19, 2011

SETTING-up!

and the mannequins come in. photo by DORIS LU

Monday: PRE_JUDGIng... TUESDAYpm: SETup_x_judgingday, WEDS... judgingDAY... crazyness!

After the critic/professor selected the garments that would go on for judgingday we had all of monday afternoon+tuesdayam to make all necessary modifications
- ONLY THAT-
 i worked on monday evening and woke up at 11 on tued, because my body was claiminfg the hours of sleep i had neglected it from in the last 2 months...


for modifications:
I mostly worked on my "nude" bodysuit for underneath my cottonINC garment and the "nude" tights i would put over it.
I ran to school at 5pm because that was the call time, but only to find out that not all of the mannequins were there.
We had to wait until 7pm to get -the ones that did come- dressed. However... my 2nd pant form didnt was not going to be ready until weds morning, so i waited around for "nothing".

I have to say that those couple of hours were full of reflection.
I mean.. seeing so many amazing knitwear pieces in that Great Hall, was super inspiring, and heartwarming because I know EVERY one of the creators...
the knitwear class did such an INCREDIBLE job!!!

Unfortunately, FIT's and this Industry's burocracy elliminated some pieces (during the pre-judgement) that were equally mindblowing and (in my opinion) everyone DESERVED to be there.
I've asked my colleagues to send me high-res pics of their work so that I can do my part in honoring them.

for now- here are some pics of my cottonINC garment!

note that this is the one piece that my professor commented on saying that:
 "ugh... I can't believe that having a blank canvas to express yourself and THIS is what you are deciding to create, the judges won't get it" "and no-one is going to wear something like it, its too complicated, it wouldn't sell"
well... that thursday, I found out that the "industry judges" selected it as part of the BFA show.
(more on that later)

i also wanted to share a link to the BFA fashion design class blog: http://blog.fitnyc.edu/futureoffashion/
my friend olgabely is the blogger for the knitwear class and she's done a great job w it!
 
last minute basting.me my mess and I. photo by DORIS LU


glad a big part of this is over!
much much love

No comments:

Post a Comment